Saturday 12 February 2011

i said look ma, no hands.

Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

This is a real problem. This past summer, I had the privilege of living in London and interning for a PR company called Sequel UK. Sequel held all the licensing for GUESS and Gc watches and jewelry. I came to very much appreciate the detail of watches in all their glory. I was lucky enough to receive a beautifully simple, gold, boyfriend style watch as a sort of payment for my work there during the summer months. I love my watch. It is chic and classic and goes with pretty much everything. I can dress it up with bracelets and a cocktail ring for a night on the town or keep is casual with jeans and a cardigan during the day. Either way, it is almost always on my wrist.

Seeing my admiration for this accessory, Mike got me a beautiful chunky, silver version for Christmas this year (I haven’t been able to wear it as much as I would like because it still hasn’t been sized for my 5 year old baby wrists).

Anyway, my point is not only that a watch is a cool addition to any outfit, but they should also be used for their purpose, which is to TELL TIME!

I’ve read a few articles about this subject and the percentages vary, but some say that up to 30% of young adults ages 13-25 can’t read an analog clock (the kind with two hands). This is pretty crazy, if you ask me.

I don’t belong to this percentage, seeing as how I do, in fact, know how to read a clock, but sometimes I will look down at it the exact moment someone else asks me what time it is, and I will say, “I don’t know”. I try to laugh it off, but THEN, this anxiety comes over me and I feel so much pressure to figure out what time it is and sometimes I end up giving up and saying a random time. Does anyone else do that? I think it is totally weird, but I feel like the person is staring me down, waiting for me to respond with a real answer and thinking: this girl is so dumb, she can’t even tell time. I do, I do, I swear!

That’s it, really. Just wanted those of you who I accidentally (on purpose) told the incorrect time, that I actually know how to read a clock, but you scared me and I couldn’t perform under the pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment