Wednesday 12 January 2011

the clanking of crystal.

So this is the New Year... and I don't feel any different.

Just kidding! I'm a big kid now! Not sure exactly how I thought my graduation day would feel, but I can tell you that I was under whelmed by the moment I turned my tassel. With no job and no real prospects in my immediate future, I don't feel I have much to look forward to. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm broke as a joke and need to get my shit together (pardon my French).

On the upside, I looked so cute in my cap and gown!

I am trying, I promise. I want a job very badly. Currently, I'm working at my alma mater’s bookstore as –get this- a GREETER. For $8 an hour, I stand and greet students, faculty and community members good day and adieu. It isn’t glamorous, but hopefully I’ll be able to pay the bills. If not, it’s back to the Chi for this little graduate. Not having a car in Columbia makes it very hard to get a job here. Trust me- I applied everywhere all of last semester with no luck at all.

I’ve been constantly trying to update my resume and my website (which I’m still not really happy with). I want to put my best foot forward for all my potential future employers but I feel a little jilted right now. I’m not feeling particularly inspired to do any of my own work and that’s just no good.

Now that I’m back in Columbia, I’m hoping to just have a little “down /me-time” to get it done. Most of my friends are entering their final semester and I can’t lie and say I’m not jealous of them. As much as I do want to enter the work force and start the next chapter in my life –I’m hitting myself right now for that cliché- I really question whether I’m mentally ready to leave the Como bubble.

I wonder if I’m giving up the most important things in my life to hang out in my college town with my friends.
-– Here come my 2011 resolutions:

1.) GET A JOB: It doesn’t have to be “my dream job” but I wouldn’t be opposed to it. Just something that I’m happy with and can see myself having fun in for a while. Ideally, said job would have benefits because I haven’t been to the dentist in quite some time…
2.) Be a better friend/ girlfriend: If and when I move out of the college bubble, I need to make sure that I’m in constant contact with my sassies and not just talk to them through facebook. With that, while I’m still in Columbia, I need to be a better gf and an equal partner in our relationship.
3.) Write AND SEND cards: I stole this one from a real and pretend sissy, but it is a tough one. I like getting cards so I need to keep up on sending them. I always think about it but actually getting it done is a different story.
4.) Be a good mom: I love my little baby boy (Bear- the dog) and I’m a super proud momma, but I haven’t been pulling my weight in that department either. So I need to be an active participant in the little bub’s life. Also, the next large purchase I make MUST be getting his little cojones chopped off.
5.) Update more often: That one is pretty clear.

That seems to be it for right now but I’m sure I’ll be back soon.
xx

1 comment: